Astra - the National Centre for Science Education
Astra is the National Center for Science Education and we are a self-governing institution associated with the Ministry of Children and Education. Our main focus is to strengthen science education in Denmark as it benefits all of society.
Science and technology certainly plays an important role in a modern society. Therefore, we at Astra strive to have an up-to-date insight into the contents and methods of science courses, which should always be a part of the general education of children and young people. This insight is important for young people if we want them to be an active and informed part of our society.
At the same time Denmark has a great interest in children and teenagers choosing education and careers within the field of science and technology. Thus, they will help solve current problems and create knowledge-based solutions for the benefit of all. Astra’s vision is therefore: Teaching science, technology and natural sciences contributes to every child and young person's general education and motivation to choose an education and career path within science and technology.
Teaching science, technology and natural sciences contributes to every child and young person's general education and motivation to choose an education and career path within science and technology.
Astra’s main area of work is primary and secondary schools. Moreover our interests lie in the transition from daycare to schooling, from primary school to youth education and from youth education to higher education.
Astra as the National Center for Science Education works with:
- the formal educational system, including teachers, educators, educational framework and knowledge, and the many stakeholders, who shares Astra’s vision
- strengthening the coordination of the efforts from society concerning the natural sciences. We are furthermore in a continuous dialogue with leading researchers in the field to ensure that our work takes place on an informed basis. We are committed to creating sustainable efforts and to support capacity building at both the educational institutions and at management level.
Astra’s ongoing mission is thus formulated: Astra connects relevant institutions to secure and develop the quality of and the framework for education in science and technology. Our work is always based on the latest knowledge, research and experience.
Astra connects relevant institutions to secure and develop the quality of and the framework for education in science and technology. Our work is always based on the latest knowledge, research and experience.
Established by law
The 22nd of November, Astra received a new legal basis - Law on a National Center for Science Education. Thus, the new legislation determines Astra’s purpose as follows:
- The purpose of the National Center for Science Education is to strengthen the quality of and promote the interest in science and technology through a strong recruitment for education and employment in science.
- The National Center for Science Education shall furthermore contribute to the strengthening of the knowledge base for renewal and development of the teaching of science and technology. (§1)
In comment to the law, it is further clarified that the National Center for Science Education should focus on children and young people's education as well as strengthen talent development and networking:
- The National Center for Science Education will therefore continue to have a supporting role in relation to promoting science in relation to children and young people’s further education as well as talent development.
- The National Center for Science Education must support and strengthen networking and knowledge sharing with the purpose of strengthening students’ learning and academic level as well as schools’ development of teaching.